Tuesday, October 28, 2008

A few of you asked about the French foreign exchange student disaster, so I figured I'd write about that. Hopefully I'll be able to do the next recap tomorrow night. I never seem to have time anymore thanks to my new 2nd job, season 1 of Dexter on dvd, and taking naps when I can. ha.

When I was in 6th grade, I convinced my parents to let me participate in French Back to Back. They wouldn't let me go to France because they said I was too young, but we hosted a French student for 3 weeks. Since I didn't go to France, I was one of the last ones paired up. There were more French boys than girls participating in the program, so I got stuck with a boy. Back then, my friends and I were just starting to get interested in boys. I had my first crush in 6th grade. But I wasn't interested in having a French boy stay at our house. I wanted a girl, because I was convinced we would become best friends.

Well, we got Phillipe. He was probably the worst match possible for our family. He was into sports (soccer) while my family is all about studying. He refused to even try to talk to us. The French kids knew some English, and we were trying to learn French, but this kid would not even try to talk to me. He was weird. He refused to let my mom wash his clothes, he wouldn't eat the food she made (she once served corn with dinner & apparently that was a huge insult. I don't know, I love corn) and he would stare at my friends in class. Also, since we got stuck with a boy instead of a girl, we tried to get him and my brother to be friends, but they didn't get along at all. If I remember correctly, I think Phillipe hit my brother or something. I think my brother hated me for years for that!

One weekend, my family got to host one of the French girls, Sandrine, because her host family was going out of town and couldn't take her with them. We got along great! I only wish we had been paired together (we probably would have, if my parents had let me go to France!)

I think my family tried to keep in touch with Phillipe's family for about a year or so, but that was it. However, we do still keep in touch with some of the other families here that hosted French kids. It's funny that we still remember that, even though it was so long ago. I kinda even remember the French song we had to learn for the show we put on for the French kids. It was about a suitcase (valise) and listed all the things inside of it.

Oh, but one cool thing... Philippe brought us a bunch of French souvenirs when he came. One of the things he gave me was a bright colored sticker from the Eiffel Tower. Even though my French Back to Back experience wasn't what I hoped for, I was still hooked on France. I was so excited to learn French in high school and always dreamed of the day I would finally get to go to France. Well, I finally did--exactly 10 years later, in 1999. And, I got myself a colorful sticker from the Eiffel Tower, that is similar to the one Phillipe gave me.

Back to the Sleepover Friends... I bought a bunch more books on ebay. I am close to completing my collection!

#8 Lauren's Treasure
#14 Lauren Takes Charge
#17 Patti Gets Even
#18 Stephanie and the Magician
#26 The New Kate
#27 Where's Patti?
#33 Lauren's Double Disaster

9 comments:

Jen said...

Thanks so much, Zanne, for digging up ancient memories for us!!!

Are you totally loving Dexter, or what?

And, holy cow - you have traveled everywhere! You're so lucky!!

zanne said...

Yes, I LOVE Dexter! I am hooked.

BananaBomb said...

I've always wanted to host a foreign exchange student, but this spring my youngest son's best friend moved in with us to finish the school year (his parents moved to a different school district two months before school ended). You know, that classic scenario that your folks always squash in the planning stages? Haha, silly me, I suggested it! Well, two weeks in, I wanted that kid OUT OF MY HOUSE. I was literally counting the days until he moved out. And by the end, my son was too. (BTW, they are no longer friends.)

I've since changed my mind about having a stranger move into my house for ANY period of time. Or even relatives.

Miss Melissa said...

I always wanted to host a foreign exchange student, but after reading about your experience I'm not so sure anymore! ;)

And hi! I'm Melissa and I love your blog. :)

nikki said...

Ahh...Phillipe sucks! Too bad, I always wanted to host a foreign exchange student too, but with five kids in a relatively small house, my parents were all "No way!"

Sada said...

I'm obsessed with Dexter.

My sister was in a French exchange program when we were in high school, and we ended up hosting TWO French students. We were supposed to host a girl, but because there was a girl shortage (what's up with the male-to-female ratios in France? or are there just too many girls in the US of A who dream of hosting foreign exchange students?), she had to divide her time between us and some other girl's family.

But then we took in some wayward French boy who had been KICKED OUT of his other host house for, like, staring at his host sister's boobs or some nonsense. Totally ridiculous. He was fine. Nothing like the belligerent Phillipe and his dirty laundry. What a weirdo!

nicole said...

That song on my page was Ryan Adams. And boo on canceling October Road!

BadKat said...

Now, I am no fan of corn, but I do not find it insulting in any way.

We hosted a teaching student from Mexico when I was in high school and it was miserable. She hogged my bathroom, would not let me use her interestingly foreign cosmetics, and then complained to my parents that I was mean to her all of the time. Now come on, I only started being mean after she started complaining about me. So anyway; girl, I feel your pain!

I used to be obsessed with France too! I was a little younger, and my sister and I had this thing we played called “French Girls” (we still will occasionally make fun of ourselves with this bit). We thought everyone is France was super-rich and owned high-rise apartment buildings. Obviously we had never seen any pictures of France…

Anonymous said...

Try http://www.paperbackswap.com for more sleepover friends books, that's where I have found most of mine!